Thursday, December 19, 2013

Christmas as told by my nursery kids

Nathan and I are leaders in one of the three nurseries in our ward. Yep, you read that right. Three. As in, there are 51 kids on the rolls. It's a little insane but usually fun. And the kids are just the cutest.

Last Sunday I got to take our three soon-to-be Sunbeams into Primary for singing time. After some squirming and waving to older siblings and/or dads who double as Primary teachers (Amyah told me, "That's my sister Susie!" about 8 times, apparently forgetting that I sat next to Susie in sacrament meeting 20 minutes earlier), they settled right in. I was so proud of them sitting still and reverently in their chairs, listening to the chorister as she told them about a new Christmas song (The Nativity Song). The chorister asked why there was a new star for Christmas, and several older kids raised their hands to answer. Well, my nursery kiddos don't really do the raising hands thing, so Amyah just said in her loud, sweet, matter-of-fact voice, "Because Jesus was born," as if she couldn't believe a grown up didn't know that already. The chorister managed not to laugh (I couldn't stop myself from laughing) and asked, "And why does it matter that Jesus was born?" Davidge, another of my little guys, piped up and said, "Because Jesus died for us." And then I wanted to laugh and cry at the same time, because how sweet are their little testimonies? These kids are three. Our nursery lessons consist of, "Try to sit still and stop touching his chair" and, "Let's stop being kitties for a minute and look at this picture of Jesus" (the kitty thing has happened more than once) and, every time, "Jesus loves you!" So they definitely didn't pick up their testimonies and knowledge in nursery. Their parents should be proud of how much their little guys absorb at home (Amy and Kevin, good job!)

Also, since it was our last week with Amyah and we didn't want to play favorites but she's our cousin and so cute we couldn't help it, here's a picture of us together that Amy took before taking her home:


1 comment:

  1. Look what I found! How fun! I am excited to read about your life since you're so far away! I hope you are doing really well :) You seem very happy!

    ReplyDelete