Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Conference Highlights

A few things I learned from this past weekend's General Conference:

Husbands & wives in great marriages respect each other, make decisions unanimously, help each other in shared responsibilities, base marriage on cooperation not negotiation, turn off electronics to help each other & spend time together, go to bed together, work side by side in the home, make all financial decisions together, are fiercely loyal, and live together in love. Marriage is God's gift to us, but the quality of our marriage is our gift to God.

How you raise your children is infinitely more important than where you raise your children. Don't worry about what ward is "good" for your family, but when you're looking for somewhere to live, look for a ward that needs a good family. This one especially hit home given Nathan's ideas of where he wants to practice.

"Lord, I believe. Help thou my unbelief." Hold the ground you have already won. Be true to the faith you have. What we know will always trump what we do not know. When doubt or difficulty come, don't be afraid to ask for help. Don't be afraid to honestly acknowledge your questions, but first and forever fan the flame of your faith.

Darkness exists, but we don't have to dwell there. Light also exists. Choose to dwell there.

The Son of Man forgives sins - on earth, here & now, not just at the final judgement - and He wants to forgive. No human weakness is beyond His power to strengthen, help and save.

The Savior loves us, and wants to be close to us, and will be more present in our lives as we live worthy and invite Him in.

To contend, fight, argue, you need two people. I can choose to never be one of them. That means biting my tongue and walking away - two things I am not very good at - but it also means marital harmony, and that's worth it.

Children come to earth ready to listen, and I have the power to increase a child's confidence and faith through the words I speak, and the tone I use (a still voice a perfect mildness). Pray to know a child's unique needs. Put away distractions - especially the electronic kind - to focus on loved ones, both children and husband (we could both benefit from this, disconnecting from technology to reconnect with each other).

No comments:

Post a Comment