Monday, March 17, 2014

new babies and an air show for our first anniversary

So, first, new babies - no, not our baby - a few weeks ago Kristi Judd (cousin) asked us if we'd be willing to watch her toddler if she went into labor before her mother-in-law arrived from Utah. Of course we said yes. We're about 40 minutes away but we all assumed that would be plenty of time for me to get to her before her needing to get to the hospital. A week, then two, went by with no word from Kristi so we assumed she wouldn't need us.

On Saturday, our almost-anniversary, Nathan was so excited to celebrate by going to an air show at the local air force base. In case you didn't know, he turns into a small child when planes are involved. It's adorable. We were taking Kirsten and Chloe with us while Nate took his written boards. We were in their parking lot in Surprise, loading Chloe's car seat into our car, when Derek called saying Kristi's in labor and can we please come get Jackson so they can get to the hospital? Well, we were about 1.5 hours away, at best, so we asked him to get a neighbor to watch Jackson while we drove over. We arrived to find a very sad little Jackson who wanted to know why his mama was in pain and where she and daddy went. We did our best to console him, but it didn't work. The poor little guy fell asleep for about 20 minutes but woke up crying again as soon as we put him in the crib.


Derek called while Jackson was napping and told us he was already holding his baby girl - she arrived within 30 minutes of them getting to the hospital! Kristi didn't even have time for an epidural. Nathan and I hadn't even gotten to their house to get Jackson before the baby came. Good thing they found a temporary sitter! Luckily everything went smoothly with the delivery and both Kristi and baby Sadie are doing great. Since Jackson was awake and still missing mama and daddy, we drove him over to the hospital to see them. I got to hold baby Sadie first after her parents and I did not want to put her down. If you're already baby hungry, do yourself a favor and don't snuggle a 2-hour-old newborn!


Since Nathan was so sad about missing the air show, we actually ended up going after church on Sunday. It was actually really cool! I was not too excited to be going since I had a headache from nursery and I knew there would be lots of traffic (I actually had a little anxiety attack on the shuttle from the parking lot to the base which made me even more excited about life), but I ended up being so happy we went. Nathan was in heaven and the stunt pilots and Thunderbirds (Air Force version of Blue Angels) were awesome. We also got to talk to pilots from the US and German Air Force, look at lots of cool planes, and spend some quality time with each other to celebrate. It ended up being a pretty great day. I love my airplane lover!

No comments:

Post a Comment