Monday, February 10, 2014

Christmas in California

Maybe I should blog about Christmas before we hit Valentine's Day, right?

We spent out first Christmas with my family (Dad, Mom, Nathan, Janessa, Cara, Michael and Lauren). Nathan had almost 2 weeks off from clinic and school and I was able to work remotely from their house in La Mirada.

We started our trip on a somber note by attending the funeral of one of my family's dearest friends, Mary, who passed away after a long fight with melanoma. Mary was the most kind, loving and Christlike person I ever met and I want to be like her when I grow up . I know my mom misses her best friend so much. It was a beautiful service and I'm glad we could be there in time to attend.

After the funeral, Nathan and I picked up Michael and Lauren from LAX and we met my parents and Cara at our favorite Beverly Hills restaurant, Lawry's, and see the LA Temple Christmas lights. Nathan and I loved being back at the temple for the first time since our wedding.

Sunday night, my in-laws drove out from Hemet to make gingerbread houses with my family. I love that Nathan's family and my family are such good friends; it definitely made the whole adjustment to having in-laws a lot easier for everyone. Dad and Tal both ended up sleeping (Tal had been sick that week and my dad has been having health problems since October, so we didn't tease them too much for this), my mom and Regina took little Hudson to see some Christmas lights so he'd stop eating all the decorating candy, and the rest of us had a great time making houses. Katie, Colby and Andrew built one; Cara, Michael, Lauren and Mitch did another; and Nathan, Lindsey and I did the last one. We think they turned out pretty cute!

On Monday we had our Bellino family Christmas party with all the little cousins, lots of food, and a special visit from Santa!

For my mom's birthday on Tuesday, Christmas Eve, we watched Frozen and played games at home. Christmas Day we opened presents - Nathan got me a bike! - and had dinner with my grandparents, and dessert and Minute To Win It games with my Aunt Linda's family.

Nathan had his dental written boards on December 26-27, so I kept busy working and helping around the house. We were so excited when he finished! I seriously can't wait for all this dental testing to be over. It's so crazy expensive and time consuming and stressful!

On Saturday we went to Downtown Disney before Michael and Lauren left for their new home in Houston at the crack of dawn Sunday morning. Monday, New Year's Eve, we went to visit my grandparents in Oceanside, then to a low key party with some La Mirada friends to ring in 2014.

On New Year's Day, we drove out to Hemet to spend a few days with the Jergensens. I was pretty sick so I didn't do a lot with the family, but I was able to go to Rachael Brinton's bridal shower and her wedding on January 4. It was the most beautiful day and we are both so happy for Rachael and Bryan!

No comments:

Post a Comment